Metric Data 03: Average dimensions of man and woman in wheelchair
In Metric Data 03 we look at the average dimensions of a wheelchair, and average dimensions of a wheelchair user. This includes details such as average height, average width, average reach dimensions and much more. These dimensions are useful when planning spaces and developing designs. Accessibility is of key importance in design, and I hope that these will help you achieve accessible spaces more easily.
This information with dimensioned images is available to download as a pdf to keep for your own records. To download the pdf click on the button below.
To complement the PDF download you can get the CAD files for your own use, of all the dimensioned figures. Easy to drop into your drawings or use a reference in your own CAD templates. Get the CAD files now!
- Average wheelchair width at back: 630mm
- Average wheelchair width at front: 465mm
- Average wheelchair height top: 965mm
- Average wheelchair armrest height: 710mm
- Average wheelchair wheel height: 560mm
- Average wheelchair length: 1075mm
Average dimensions of man in wheelchair
- Wheelchair user man high reach: 1715mm
- Wheelchair user man forward reach (over table): 580mm
- Wheelchair user man head height: 1330mm
- Wheelchair user man eye level: 1220mm
- Wheelchair user man shoulder height: 1035mm
- Wheelchair user man elbow height: 690mm
- Wheelchair user man thigh height: 605mm
- Wheelchair user man seat height: 485mm
- Wheelchair user man knuckle height: 380mm
- Wheelchair user foot height: 145mm
Average dimensions of woman in wheelchair
- Wheelchair user woman high reach: 1575mm
- Wheelchair user woman forward reach (over table): 510mm
- Wheelchair user woman head height: 1255mm
- Wheelchair user woman eye level: 1155mm
- Wheelchair user woman shoulder height: 990mm
- Wheelchair user woman elbow height: 690mm
- Wheelchair user woman thigh height: 605mm
- Wheelchair user woman seat height: 475mm
- Wheelchair user woman knuckle height: 420mm
- Wheelchair user woman foot height: 165mm
Make sure you download the pdf guide that goes with this post. And get your copy of the cad files too!