Metric Data 05: Approach, Entrance and Horizontal Circulation
In Visitable Dwellings
In Metric Data 05 we look at the approach to dwellings, entrance and circulation. This includes details such as requirements for ramps, steps, corridors and sanitary facilities plus much more. These dimensions are useful when planning spaces and developing designs.
This information with dimensioned images is available to download as a pdf to keep for your own records. To download the pdf click on the button below.
To complement the PDF download you can get the CAD files for your own use, of all the dimensioned figures. Easy to drop into your drawings or use a reference in your own CAD templates. Get the CAD files now!
Approach to a dwelling
- Route should be level, gently sloping or ramped
- Approach route minimum of 900mm wide with max cross fall of 1 in 40
- Where a driveway is the approach, a minimum of 900mm should be available for a wheelchair user to pass a parked car
Individual flights of ramp
- 1:15 no more than 5m long
- 1:12 not more than 2m long
- Every ramp has minimum clear width of 900mm
- Every ramp flight has a top and bottom landing, with intermediate landing where required
- Every landing is minimum of 1200mm long clear of any swing of door or gate
Stepped access (where ramped approach is not possible)
- Steps have a uniform rise of 75-150mm, and minimum going of 280mm
- No individual flight has a rise of more than 1800mm between landings
- Every flight has a minimum of 900mm clear width
- All landings, top, bottom and intermediate have a minimum length of 900mm
- Every flight with three or more risers has a handrail on one side. Handrail must be 850-1000 above the pitch line of the flight and extend a minimum of 300mm beyond the top and bottom nosings
Private entrances and space within the dwelling
- Entrance door has a minimum clear opening width of 775mm, 850mm preferable
- Any threshold is an accessible threshold
Circulation and hallways
- Every door to a habitable room and a room containing the WC has a minimum clear opening width according to table
- Any obstruction, such as a radiator, does not occur opposite a doorway, and is no longer than 2m in length
- The corridor is not reduced to below a minimum of 750mm by an obstruction
- Enable easy access to a WC, on the entrance storey.
- Clear space must be provided to access the WC
- Any basin is positioned so that it remains accessible
- Door to the WC opens outwards and has a clear opening width
Make sure you download the pdf guide that goes with this post. And get your copy of the cad files too!